If there is one room that has the ability to add value to a property and make or break a sale, it is the kitchen; therefore, it is vital that its appearance remains as contemporary and appealing as possible.
The most important goal anyone should have when remodeling their kitchen is to create a timeless space, especially if they anticipate having to move within the next five years. Here are some tips that will help a kitchen stand the test of time.
- Bright, white kitchens are likely to remain fashionable for many years to come.
- Both flat-fronted and shaker-style cabinets are reliable choices.
- Whether a kitchen is large or small, the kitchen triangle - consisting of a sink, oven, and refrigerator - is crucial for a successful layout. It is from them that the rest of the kitchen flows, whether your kitchen is L-shaped, galley-style, U-shaped, or built around an island.
- Islands have become a kitchen essential that adds a lot of functionality and versatility to a kitchen. If you have the space, consider including one in your design.
- When looking for 'timeless' countertops, avoid brightly colored or boldly patterned designs. Instead, pick something classic such as white quartz or a marble-look stone.
- Lighting is one of the most important considerations that can make the kitchen appear brighter and airier. Ideally, every kitchen should ideally have two types of lighting: shadow-free task illumination for cooking and ambient lighting for entertaining. To achieve that, install a central lighting source plus a combination of practical, space-saving wall lights and spotlights. Adding a dimmer can also add a dramatic effect.
- The fixtures in your kitchen should be cohesive: handles, knobs, faucets, and hinges. Ensure all your features and fittings complement each other, especially metallic ones, and complement the color of your cabinetry.
- In addition to elevating the look of your kitchen, the backsplash protects the kitchen wall from grease, water, and other splatters. A timeless backsplash doesn’t need to be expensive. For example, a subway tile is an affordable option that can be elevated by mixing up the pattern or combining it with a unique grout colour. Luxury backsplashes extend all the way up to the ceiling and do not stop at the cabinet height, even when there are walls on either side.
- Fitted cabinets provide the maximum amount of usable space, making them a better option than free-standing cabinets, especially in small spaces. If you prefer this style, you can always add some free-standing elements, such as open shelves.
- Flooring is an important element that should not be neglected. Classic flooring choices for kitchens are wood, porcelain tiles, or stone. It’s important to keep in mind the overall layout of the house when choosing the type of floor. In a small open-plan kitchen, having a mixture of flooring (for instance, hardwood and tiles) may make the room appear smaller and more divided, however, installing hardwood throughout the room can create a more harmonious appeal. The most important factor to consider is your lifestyle; hardwood requires more care, it is more easily scratched and dented, and water can easily damage it, so these are a few considerations to bear in mind when selecting the type of floor.
- The garbage bins and recycling containers should be integrated into a cabinet so that there is no need to have garbage bins and recycling containers in the kitchen area.
- Last but not least, wine and beverage coolers are becoming more common in luxury kitchens so that the beverages, beer, and wine do not take up valuable refrigerator space.
Kitchens are a significant investment, and while you want your kitchen to reflect your style and personality, you also want to ensure you don’t need to update it every few years or replace it when it is time to sell your home. You should strive to design a timeless kitchen that will still look current in the years to come while adding your own personal touch with easily replaceable elements.
At In Black and White Real Estate Team, we are here to partner with our clients during their real estate transitions. We continuously strive to match their evolving needs by bringing insight that makes a difference. We provide innovation, expert advice and we enable our clients to focus on what is important to them.
If you are interested in buying a home, please give us the opportunity to show you all that we can do for you. Let us do the heavy lifting so that you can enjoy the experience.